Coty has just unveiled the Wella Professionals Augmented Reality (AR) enabled Smart Mirror at the recent Consumer Electronics Show held in Las Vegas.
The mirror’s revolutionary technology enhances the hair colour experience from consultation to aftercare with live AR hair colour try on, facial recognition that enables the retrieval of past looks and 360° video capture to view the hair at every angle, as well as other services.
The revolutionary Smart Mirror was co-created with Wella Professionals hair stylists and salon owners, based on survey research of nearly 1,700 stylists and clients to identify the biggest opportunities for innovation in the hair salon experience.
The new technology can run on any connected device, including tablet or mobile phone, making it flexible and portable to be scaled at salons of all sizes.
“We are incredibly excited about this breakthrough innovation, allowing hair professionals, to take their consultation with their clients to the next level. With the new Wella Professionals Smart Mirror, clients can have an even more customized session with their stylist, visualize their desired colour before application, as well as maintain the relationship and service after the salon visit. Co-developed with stylists, with this new tool we are enabling them to build stronger consultations and relationships with their clients, which is critical in our industry.” Laura Simpson, Coty Professional Beauty Chief Marketing Officer.
“This ecosystem empowers stylists and addresses many of the pain points associated with salon hair colour. Clients fear getting an unexpected colour result and the use of AR for trying on hair colour shades in the salon is a game changer to address this challenge. Further, we’ve created a flexible and portable platform that can be scaled across salons of all sizes, a major step in reinventing the salon experience for all.” Elodie Levy, Senior Director Digital Innovation at Coty.
Key features of the Smart Mirror, include:
• Live AR hair colour try on that allows real-time visualization of colour in the mirror during the consultation phase of a client’s salon visit.
• Facial recognition technology that enables the retrieval of past looks and services, helping the stylist to better serve their client with a highly personal experience across several visits.
• Curated feed of content, including trending and classic looks, to allow the client to browse for inspiration.
• 360° video capture of the hair at every angle allowing for a better appreciation of the result, without the need to use another mirror. These images can also be shared on social media.
• Connected mobile application, allowing stylists to stay in touch with their clients in between visits.
Clients can also access the platform from anywhere to connect with their stylist, get product recommendations, personalized tips and trends or schedule their next appointment.