X-Presion: Express, Create And Share. This synthesis of thought was the one that, more than a decade ago, in 2005, prompted Jose Luis Almendral, Marco Antonio Restrepo and Jorge Cáncer to create X-presion, the first studio dedicated exclusively to R+D+I (research, development and innovation) in hairdressing.
To understand what they do, how they do it, and why they do it, it’s necessary to use terms such as creative freedom, purity, and independence.
The first, because freedom is what allows X-presion developing new techniques and proposals without the pressures imposed by the market or fashion.
Their collections don’t follow the trendy haircuts or colours of the season, but they are the result of several months of research work, which lead to the creation of collections with threads, volumes without hairpins, #xpresionpixel and the new dimension that they have created, like a school of thought in the world of colour, to name just a few of the more than 20 techniques created so far.
The second purity because what X-presion creates is unlike anything. They take is different, and it has been recognized with a multitude of awards and rewarded with extensive media attention.
And finally, independence, the same independence that allows them to approach their projects by surrounding themselves with multidisciplinary teams, giving them a distinctive and polyhedral identity.
At X-presion they work developing new and unprecedented hair cutting, colour and texture techniques through the fusion of different disciplines, materials and conceptual approaches.
In addition to training hairdressers from all over the world, their collections and activities also delve into the world of cinema and art, fusing each of their projects with music, video, costume design or photography.
Their collections have starred a hundred covers of the most prestigious magazines of the worldwide hairdressing sector.
This innovative, creative and unusual concept has led them to be compared to the great chefs, such as Ferrán Adrià and his iconic restaurant, El Bulli, but in hairdressing.
In the last year, more than twenty thousand professionals from all over the world have participated in the live experience of X-presion, through its shows and different educational formats with which they show in detail the execution of their striking techniques.
As a result of these experiences, X-presion is now launching an unprecedented initiative, a community of hairdressers named Head Hackers, which is committed to a movement of creative transformation, a new current of thought to allow and cause a significant evolution in the industry of hairdressing and fashion.
Precisely, at the present moment, the multidisciplinary team of X-presion is immersed in the filming of Head Hackers, a documentary about their lives and hairdressing, which involves great figures in the industry, for one of the main television platforms.
Besides, the trio of creators is considered one of the most influential team of hairdressers in the world, both for their work and dedication, as for the dissemination of their techniques to professionals from around the globe. They have more than 113 thousand followers on Instagram, 27 thousand on Facebook, and their latest colour creation, #xpresionpixel, a revolutionary colour technique that enables a new chromatic dimension and a pixelated colour effect on the hair, something never seen before, has had 150 million impacts.
X-Presion: Express, Create And Share…
Their influence in the hairdressing industry has led them to work on the main stages of the world, such as:
- Salon International, London
- Tribu-te Show, London
- Aveda Congress, Minneapolis
- Top Hair, Dusseldorf
- Opera House, Dubai
- Salon International Congress, China
They have created campaigns and tools for Schwarzkopf Pro, Revlon Professional, Fudge and ghd, in addition to working with companies such as L’Oréal, Wella Professionals, Real Madrid, Smirnoff, Sony, Harley Davison and Oracle, among others.
This climax of creativity and knowledge has led X-presion to become a world-class benchmark, being the youngest hairdressers to receive the AIPP Grand Trophy Award in 2010, and the only ones to collect 8 awards in the Hall of Fame of the AIPP.
X-Presion: Express, Create And Share…
They have invented more than 20 innovative techniques for the hairdressing industry.
- More than 20.000 hairdressers see X-presion live each year.
- 113.000 followers on Instagram.
- They have worked in more than 35 countries.
- They have had 150 million impacts with #xpresionpixel.
- They have had 4 million views in videos like #xpresionpixel, SuperMario and Pikachu hair.
- Hundreds of hairdressers from around the world use their techniques.
- 100 covers in professional magazines.
- 8 times winners in the AIPP Awards.
- Hairdressers United – Digital Hair Festival 24h, Guinness World Record with 41 artists from 19 countries.
- 2019 — 2020 International Hairdressing Awards — International Artistic Team of the Year
- 2019 — 2020 AIPP Best Colour Collection
- 2019 — 2020 Premios Fígaro — Spanish Hairdresser of the Year
- 2014 — 2015 AIPP Best Photo — Zahia
- 2012 — 2013 AIPP Best Video — Reta2 Collection
- 2020 — Team Of The Year (Moscow)
- 2011 — 2012 AIPP Best Video — Arara Collection
- 2011 — Fígaro Awards — Best Avant Garde (Spain)
- 2010 — Fígaro Awards — Newcomer of the Year (Madrid)
- 2010 — AIPP Grand Trophy 2010 — NU:BI Collection
- 2009 — 2010 AIPP Best Video – 010 Forward Collection
- 2007 — 2008 AIPP Best Avant-Garde — L´ame de la Femme Collection
- 2005 — 2006 AIPP Best Press Pack — X-kizoo Collection
- 2012 — The Qhair, Star of Creativity (Madrid)
- 2012 — Innovation Gallery (IFEMA), R+D+I: Creative Education Method (Madrid)
- 2008 — New York Photo Awards Best Band Photography (N.Y.)
- 2008 — Lux Bronce Best Fashion Photography (Barcelona)
CREATIVE EDUCATION METHOD
The leitmotiv of X-presion is to create techniques that can somehow benefit the hairdressing industry — creatively, from a business perspective and, especially, through education. The trio believes in the vital necessity of continuous training for the development of professional skills and creativity.
During their sessions, they transform the conventional educational process into a passionate exhibition that has no analogues — an impressive live presentation of their R&D work.
Through intense work all over the world in search of new materials, visions, landscapes and other elements such as hair, X-presion have elaborated an exclusive and original method. As a result of their investigations, the team has developed around twenty unique techniques that tackle different areas of the technical work of a hairdresser: tools, cuts, colour and volume.
The absolute goal of the Creative Education Method is to bring back the excitement for working on hair and give the stylists the freedom to execute the type of work they perhaps had never imagined. X-presion hopes that hairdressers will go back to their creative phase and at the same time, make the most of their clients’ visits by offering them an exclusive and innovative service that will differentiate them from the competition and contribute to an economic return.
Connect with X-presion through their social media:
x-presion.eu / vinocorreveidile.com / head-hackers.com